4 Month old Pekin, Really sick, Swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ethanj357, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ethanj357

ethanj357 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    We had just gotten 4 ducklings a couple months ago, we think their about 4 months old.

Our pekin is very sick and tired. He tries to stay with the other 3 ducks but can't keep up with them because of his leg, He kind of just beaches himself on the side of the pond. His beak is very warm, he doesn't eat like he use to. He trembles and shakes every once and a while. He's droopy and doesn't seem to have high awareness. We've given him Tetracycline Hydrochloride and Electrolytes to hopefully help any pain he's in and/or fever. A vet is out of the question due to the high expenses. We really don't want to lose him because we just got him and he's so young.

He's now sleeping with his head down instead of behind his wing.

Someone please help! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony

When did you start him on the antibiotics, and how much are you giving him? How much does he weigh?

Is there a bumble on his foot?

How long has he been run down?

How are you giving the antibiotics? In drinking water? Oral syringe? Injection?

3. ethanj357

Apr 22, 2016
    We started giving him the Tetracycline Hydrocholoride yesterday (4/21/16) but we gave him the Aleve 2 days ago. I would guess he weighs around 5 pounds, he's pretty big, not adult big though as you can tell.

No, I don't think he has bumblefoot, his feet are just swollen, and very very warm.

He's been sick for around 4-5 days now.

We first gave him Aleve orally, he just ate it, but the Tetracycline Hydrochloride is through water.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are you giving the Aleve according to a veterinarian's suggestion? Because it can cause toxicity in some animals.

He may not be getting enough of the tetracycline hydrochloride through drinking water.

@Orca5094

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @ethanj357 , welcome to BYC! Your duck looks *very* critically ill. Not positive, but I don't think that Aleve should be given to bird, especially if you don't know what's wrong with him. Read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ergency-and-supportive-care-updated-4-11-2016

What does his poop look like? I bet it's green or yellow liquid. I don't want to scare you, but without proper supportive care he will probably not live. Supportive care = warm room, lots of fluids, daily weighing, tube feeding and he will probably need antibiotics, though it's hard to say which one would be best.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. ethanj357

Apr 22, 2016
    His poop is green, I was out of town today but my brother said he's doing a lot better, we was swimming more and drinking a lot more of water (tetracycline hydrochloride) We just got back and will soak his feet in Epsom salt, I saw on another post that it might be okay for him to drink some as Epsom salt "flushes" toxins. He's been sleeping inside where it is warm

We don't know how to weigh him or how to tube feed him. Also what other antibiotics other than tetracycline hydrochloride would you recommend?

Thank you for your help!

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Maybe you can borrow a baby scale from someone - those work pretty well.

I am not sure a flush is advisable - it can be pretty rough on the system, and I am not sure it's toxins, it really sounds like an infection, and a flush would get rid of the antibiotics in the gut along with everything else, and put additional strain on the kidneys.

There is a thread, "Go Team Tube Feeding," that I recommend you read through.

8. ethanj357

Apr 22, 2016
    Well he's been getting a lot of tetracycline hydrochloride, we're going to soak his feet in some Epsom salt for about 10 minutes, he did drink some of the water with the Epsom salt, hopefully it won't interfere to much with the tetracycline hydrochloride.

9. ethanj357

Apr 22, 2016
    Update: We took him out of the Epsom salt because all he did was fight us to drink it, any other way to get his feet to it without him drink all of it? [​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by