4 month old pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tmayk, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tmayk

tmayk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    So tomorrow we are relocating our rooster & we are thinking we should introduce new hens at the same time as I've always read its a good time to do it when there is already a disturbance in the pecking order. We found some 4 month old pullets at our local farm store and are thinking of introducing them tomorrow night. We currently have 4 full size and 1 bantam hen and will be introducing 8-10 full size pullets. Do you all think that will be ok? Is there anything we should look out for? of course we will make sure the new ladies are as health, clean and well kept as our current girls!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well first off the new hens need quarantined for at least a few weeks before you put them in. Other wise you will be fine.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is always better, I think when you have more new ones, than old ones. The old ones have claim to the property, the new ones spread the pecking order out, and have friends to stick with. Works for me.

MrsK

4. tmayk

tmayk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks ladies! The chickens are in Quarantine now, we saw them today, but only from a distance. From what we could see they looked very healthy and happy. We are goin to give them a nice once over when we pick them up tomorrow and then talk in more detail about the extent of their quarantine and decide what to do from there. We don't want anyone getting sick! Looks like we will be getting ameraucanas, black Australorps and rhode island reds to add to our flock of brahmas, a wyndotte and a bantam fizzle.

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I tell everyone. Make sure there are some hiding places for a few weeks until everyone works everything out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by