4 month old RIR having trouble walking or standing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flock 603, Feb 25, 2015.

1. flock 603

flock 603 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I have a four month old Rhode Island red who, beginning about a week ago, started having trouble walking. I didn't see her fall or bash into anything.

There are no visible breaks or deformations, and since she's been on isolation she's started standing a little bit.

However as you can see in the following pictures and YouTube video, her foot seems limp and immobilized. It doesn't open nor does it try to grasp at anything.

She's eating and drinking normally. She seems to be pooping normally as well.

Any ideas or recommendations would be extremely appreciated.

YouTube video of her trying to walk to eat some blueberries. She got them all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flock 603

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Bump for help

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I hate to say it, but that is what I would suspect, since her right leg seems numb or partially paralyzed. Her toes are also curling. I would start poultry vitamins that include riboflavin (vitamin B2) in case of deficiency. There are 4 types of Mareks that can involve the nerves, the skin, the eyes, and the viscera (internal tumors.) Normally a chicken will only exhibit symptoms of one or two of those. Please don't take this as a diagnosis, since other conditions can resemble Mareks, but just do some reading. Here are some good articles on Mareks to read, and there are many BYC threads where you can ask questions and get answers from other members who have dealt with it:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

4. flock 603

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Thanks you for the response. After doing a little research it seems like either of those could be a possibility.

I am going to try and find somewhere local to give the vitamin b2 a shot.

Unfortunately I just went to check on her and it seems her good leg is beginning to go numb/toes curl as well.

As seen in the video from yesterday that foot was working well.

Thanks again for the advice. Definitely a learning experience.

5. flock 603

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    And no. She was not vaccinated to my knowledge.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is not necessary to inject the B2--oral dosage is fine. The only vitamin for poultry that does not contain riboflavin (B2) is Poultry Nutri Drench.

7. flock 603

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Sorry for confusion, I meant give it a shot as in give it a try or a chance. Not as an actual injection.

Got her some supplement. With B2 and others. She thankfully is still gladly drinking normally all on her own.

Hopefully this helps.

8. flock 603

Mar 31, 2014
    New Hampshire
    She's now completely unable to stand, seems to keep getting stuck on her side. Vitamins seem to be of no help.

I don't want to see her suffer but want to try everything I can.

How long should I wait?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she is worse. Mareks, if that is what she has, is different in every case. Some chickens can survive for some time while others go quickly. Some will starve themselves, while others eat normally. It is pretty important to know what is wrong with her since it can affect your other chickens and any future chickens. A necropsy if she dies, done by your state vet, could tell you for sure what she has. Mareks can last 7 years and longer in your environment, since it is spread in dander and the dust. Any future chicks would need to be vaccinated for Mareks, and kept away from the disease for 2-3 weeks to be fully immune. Any chickens in the flock should be considered carriers, even those who do not get symptoms. I really hope she will start to respond to the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by