4 month old silkie lays an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerwnb, Feb 16, 2009.

1. farmerwnb

farmerwnb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    I was wondering if anybody out there has had this happen? I traded a couple of roudy roos(1 BR and 1 JG/mutt) for 3 young silkie hens last month. I am following the sound advice of others and have them in a quarantine tractor, just the 3 of them. I was told that they were about 3 months old. I am new to silkies and couldn't tell a 2month old vs a 2 year old bird. Any ideas/ comments?

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    My silkies have never laid before the age of 8 months. Thats is just mine though, it may be due to our weather, or what time of year they were born. Did you find an egg in the tractor and you are questioning their age? Is that your question? If so, I would guess them to be alittle older than 4 months, but thats just my opinion. [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My youngest starter was at 5 months. Silkies tend to take a long time to start, normally, but it can happen. I have 2 that are 7.5 months old and haven't started yet... [​IMG]

4. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

mine were born in nov, and they started laying eggs 2 weeks ago!!
    i have their parents, and they were also very early layers.
    i just went back through my posts, and they were born nov 11, 08, so very early layers!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. farmerwnb

farmerwnb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    Well pretty I'm sure that these hens are older than 4 months, but I don't know how old they really are. I went out there today and there was another egg. I just hope they go broody soon so they can hatch out my other mutt eggs. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by