4 Month old Silkie take to chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sillychicks123, Oct 7, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I am getting my 4 month old silkie hen three chicks on saturday because all of her other friends turned out to be Roos. I feel really bad for her because all she does know is sit in the corner of the coop all day. I am trying to give her alot of attention, but its difficult with my school and all my activities. Will she be more happy once the chicks get here? They are going to be 8 weeks old. Will she take to them as well? I am really worried she is going to get depressed or sick from being so lonely. I have one other chicken in the coop, but she doesn't care for other chickens and prefers to be on her own. Advice on the new chicks/what to expect? Thanks!!!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well when my lonely Silkie Mellow first met my new chicks she hated them, and would arch her neck and strike at them. Slowly by slowly under my watch they eventually got along better, though Mellow still will sometimes chase around the pullets to establish her dominance. I would try to integrate your chicks with your silkie slowly to see how they react, here's a link that might help: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/when-to-move-chicks-from-brooder-to.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by