4 Month old Silkie with cocci (I believe) Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesnFrizzle, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    Temps have been very hot, 100°+, I thought the last few days she was acting broody even though she is only 4 months old. Yesterday she looked a hot, brought her in and she is thin.Keel bone is prominent. She passed what looked like straight blood. I quickly gave her lots of water with Amprolium and Vit and Electro powder. She must jave been dehydrated, drank until crop was engorged so much she was topheavy amd cant sit up right. Thru the night just bloody bowel moments. Her crop is still full, from liquid, but she needs food. I know how to tube feed and have the food to do so, but what about blood loss? What else can I do?

2. SilkiesnFrizzle

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    Possible sour crop to?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Wow, that sounds serious. I would start tube feeding her to get her energy up. However, stop giving her vitamins. The way that Amprolium works is by depriving the Cocci protozoa of Vitamin B. Giving vitamins will make it more difficult for the Amprolium to work.

The fact that she is thin makes me think that she could have worms. When/if she gets stronger, you might want to worm her.

Good luck with your little Silkie! I hope she gets better!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You CANNOT give vitamins during cocci treatment. Amprolium is a thiamine blocker,parasite needs thiamine to reproduce,amprolium blocks thiamine from the body stopping reproduction,and bringing Coccidiosis back under control. Dose for Corid(Amprolium) 9.6.% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp(this can be increased to almost 1 tsp (actual .92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose). Treat ALL chickens for 5 days,NO vitamins,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Keep her inside home,keep her cool heat can and does kill chickens. You can also add warm water to feed(use the medicated water for this)so it resembles oatmeal,chickens love this and it is easier for frail/ill ones to eat,plus you have the benefit of the extra medication.

Is her crop impacted? She could be thin from not eating,either from Coccidiosis or from impacted crop. Her crop should not be full in the morning if she drank water,unless there is an obstruction.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If her crop didn't clear the fluid overnight, it probably means that the dying process has started. If she were mine I wouldn't worry about tubing food to her, I'd just keep giving her fluids and I'd probably give her some glucose or corn syrup.

Do you have any antibiotics?

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. SilkiesnFrizzle

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I just wanted to update you guys, she did die the next day. Kathy, you were right, her crop never lessened in size. I did start her on sulfadiamethoxine, but it was probably too late.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by