1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4-month pullet sleepy and tipsy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saridout, Nov 1, 2010.

1. saridout

saridout Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    my 4-month old bantam orpington pullet started acting a little lethargic yesterday, and today she's full-on sleepy all the time. she's been sitting on the bottom of their pen sleeping all day, and when i put her on her feet, she seems a little wobbly and sits down again as soon as she can. her appetite doesn't seem affected, she ate a grape with enthusiasm, but went right back to sleep. her crop feels fine. i can't detect any wheezing sounds when she breathes. my hens eat medicated chick feed along with some fruit and vegetables, and water with apple cider vinegar in it. they live inside full-time. could this be pre-egg laying behavior? could she be egg bound? help! she's my favorite girl [​IMG]

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I do not think it is pre egg laying issue, if they have not started yet, they usually do their first egg with little issue, just some blood on egg.

I would first guess Coccidiosis and would get her on some Sulmet or something similar right away. I use Foys Pigeon Supply online for Cocci-cure but it does not sould like you can wait for a shipment. Give her some vitamins and electrolytes ASAP as well. I also keep onhand Poultry-Drench....its highly concentrated vitamins for poultry to absorb into their system fast.

3. saridout

saridout Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    we had agrimycin drinking water mix, which we're giving to her. it's all we have for now. i'll try to find something to treat coccidiosis tomorrow. hopefully my vet will be able to provide something.

EDIT: i should also add that sometimes she's got one eye open and one closed, and her vision seems affected. she pecks at food, but falls short a half-inch.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by