1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 months still not sure

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maryann momhen, Aug 3, 2014.

1. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    I got these 2 barred rock chicks as a surprise easter present from a friend..I was told they looked 3 weeks old as my friend didn't ask their age or gender..dopey michael...anyway that was around april 26th which would put them at 17 weeks ...I'm planning on uploading pictures next but my phone doesn't always behave...anyway I was sure they were hens as up till yesterday no significant rooster signs...only pale pink small combs and almost nothing red under their beaks..and very quiet just the meekest of clucking...anyway yesterday one of 2 looks significantly different from the other...dark red comb and the things under the chin are much bigger..and then I hear it making a new sound that sounded a bit closer to crowing .but still weak..not quite sure ... then I read that even hens get some dark red stuff growing and have their own kinda crow...let's see if I can get some pics up!!

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Sounds good, patiently waiting for pics :)

3. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    [​IMG]

4. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    Well that's Crowley...lol.... the one I'm wondering about...trying to get another of the other one Aziraphale.....

5. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    [​IMG]

6. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    That looks like a Roo darlin, because of its more white then black bars, i cant really see the feet but it doesnt seem to have a black wash on the front to indicate a hen. But i could be wrong Rocks are sometimes hard to sex lol. [​IMG]

7. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    ill try to get a pic of the legs

8. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Here is a pic of my Roo [​IMG]
    he is only 3 weeks in this pic. His name is Brave.

9. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    He's so cute...I have some from the first day I got them too..and I just went outside and took a few more..trying to put them up but my phone keeps locking

10. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

There's a lot of black wash down the legs but the pattern does look like a cockerel, I'm saying cockerel for now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by