4 new chicks ... a death over night

ESofVA

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Keller, VA
Three days ago I bought 4 new chicks, 3 are I am pretty sure are Brahmas. They are in a box in our garage, A small closed in box inside in case they want to get in it. Lamp to keep them warm. Pine shavings in the bottom. Water and chick starter also fed a few dried mealworms.
Last night everyone looked great.
This am I went to check on them and 1 was dead w/ rigor mortis already set in. I picked it up to dispose of and noticed a tiny bit of blood on one toenail and started checking the chick to see where it had come from. Its vent. The vent had no paste but it was just blood. Felt the crop and I didn't feel anything in it, although it was eating fine last night and showed no sign of illness. No blood on any of the other three inc. their beaks.
Will start medicated feed and electrolytes & molasses in their water.
I read where raw milk was good but no raw milk around here anywhere! What about pasteurized milk?
Of course this could be something besides coccidiosis but I really don't know of anything else that might be indicated. No diarrhea anywhere, awfully sudden onset I would think.
Any suggestions???? The dried mealworms??
Deb

OH...and no livestock vets around here except one and only one for horses within 75 miles. Mostly cropland here and only an occasional goat or sheep!

Back
Top Bottom