4 new hens/pullets - what breed are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SpeckledPullet, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I bought these girls "thinking" I knew what breeds they were. Now, I am not so sure. I am positive the eldest is a black sexlink. However, the two younger black pullets are consufing me. One has what looks like a red beard under her beak. Does this mean she could be a EE cross? Also, both younger black hens have almost no comb or wattles. Is this normal? The 4th hen looked like an Ancona to me at first, but I am sure she is a cross and now am not even sure if she's an Ancona cross. Any idea what she is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below is another black hen, just with bad lighting. This one has the red beard and you can somewhat see it in this pic.
    [​IMG]
    Below is what I thought was an Ancona ....
    [​IMG]

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    1 pic. Australorp
    last pic. Mutt

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    langshan or cochin cross, last one wyandotte x.

4. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thanks!

I am starting to think what I thought were sexlinks are Australorps! Anyone else think that? They do have a green sheen to the feathers. Can sexlinks have a green sheen, too?

My husband swears that he heard the breeder say the speckled girl was a silver laced wyandotte. I just don't see it, though. Her coloring looks off. I did see her parents and the hen could have been a SLW, maybe. The rooster may have been a golden laced wyandotte, maybe. I just don't know enough to be sure what the hen and roo were. I also thought I heard the breeder say Ancona, so hubby and I are in a debate.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Moment I saw them I said to myself: Australorp. The last one looks like a (sorry) terrible quality Silver Laced Wyandotte or a SLW cross. The red necked one could be sexlink and could be some other sort of cross.

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    The 2 hens with no comb (pea comb) are Brahma crosses (probably with Black Orpington.They are not pure Brahmas becouse they have white skin-Brahma is yelowskined.None of them has beard and both have feathered legs-no EE blood.The black hen with biger comb is probably Black Orpington or Orpington mix.Last one is not Ancona.I think Brahma - Wyandotte mix.If she has feathers on her legs that is sure. The green sheen- all black birds from any breed have more or less green sheen.

7. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Ve - I think you hit the nail on the head with the last hen. I pulled up Brahma pics and the hen this girl was out of was beyond a doubt a Brahma. SHe had the heavy body and feathered feet. The roo, hubby was told, was a gold laced Wyandotte. I looked up some pics and must say, roo did look a lot like a GLW. So, this girl must be a Brahma x Wyandotte.

As for the two black girls with feathered feet, is there any chance they are Brahma x Sexlink? Or maybe a Brahma x Australorp? From all of the pics I have seen, they appear to have the same look to the faces. Also, the one girl has red on her neck, like the Black Stars can get.

Also, I look up pics of Orpingtons and the black hen with the single comb doesn't much resemble them. Could she just be a plain old sexlink (black star)? She has clean feet, no feathers. She has no traces of red and is solid black with a very slight green sheen. Her feet are slate colored.

Thanks!

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

9. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    The 3rd pic looks somewhat like a game type cross...
    -sorry did not see her feathered legs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    The black hens are probably Australorp but... the one with a bit of red (does she actually have a beard or does she just have a little bit of red right there?) could quite possibly be a black copper maran. (i am no expert just throwing out some breeds)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by