1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 of my chickens died today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by martin96080, May 16, 2008.

1. martin96080

martin96080 New Egg

May 15, 2008
    last week i got a sick hen...she would not walk and she seemed to have trouble holding her head up..her beak was caked with what appeared to be dried mud...i cleaned her up and had her drink from a dropper for a couple of days...she did not make it....the weather was in the 80's

today the weather got to 106 .. i came home from work and my girls(hens) water container got knocked over some how... i looked in the check and i got 4 dead hens and a sick one... any ideas? could it be the water container getting knocked over and the heat they got heat stroke?

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    106? Where do you live? I'm worried about my birds being too cold because its 65 outside. I don't know but I'd say heat stroke is a possibility. Is it well ventilated in their coop so they get fresh air? What breed are they? I've heard of people's chickens dying because they wouldn't walk accross the yard to the waterer and getting heat stroke. I'm not sure what a good remedy for that would be. Hopefully someone with more heat experience will read this. I am so sorry for your loss.

3. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Im so sorry... Im new at this and I worry about the heat that is about to come this summer. I live in Arizona and it gets up to 125 here. I did read on here about frozen water bottles in the coop for them to hang by or lay on... Im going to do it.

4. martin96080

martin96080 New Egg

May 15, 2008
    could it be the bird flu?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 106 I bet it was heat stroke. When it gets into the 80's here I put out extra waterer's and ice in them to keep them cool. Chickens tolerate cool much better than hot, and hot without water can kill very fast.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A fan in the coop would not go amiss. Lots of water, in that kind of heat a bird can dehydrate quickly. I also have used 2 ltr. pop bottles of water frozen overnight to lay in the coop for them to lay against. Sorry about your birds! :aww

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sorry for your losses. I would say heat stroke was a real possibility. Try a fan, securing the waterer or getting a bigger one, frozen pop bottles and ice in the water. Man that is hot at 106.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    >put electrolytes in the waterer

The extension articles say to feed only in the vERY early morning and in the evening at those temps (do not give any kind of scratch as their body temps will go up processing it) >adding a supplement to their feed in such hot temps is also advised as they will automatically eat less .

set out a watermelon... frozen fruit for them to peck at during the daytime ... often they will peck at the watermelon while not drinking and this is a good source of hydration.

cooling/wetting their feet is very effective at cooling them down

9. msmarieand3

msmarieand3 New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    sorry about your losses [​IMG] On hot days try giving them an all natural frozen fruit bar .
    All the best to you .

10. Clark

Clark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Try a fan and electrolites a mister wouldn't hurt either,you can buy small packets of electolites at most farm stores for poultry.Good luck!!God Bless:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by