1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 out of 13 hens not laying anymore?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kendallb12, Jun 14, 2016.

1. kendallb12

kendallb12 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Hello, I have 13 hens. I have 4 hens that lay tan eggs. but all of them have all of a sudden stopped. they are a little over a year old. My Amerucanas and Marans and laying but when I go to get our eggs we have NO TAN EGGS! we never see them go inside to lay. it has been days since we have gotten a tan egg. I wonder why? it has been really hot here. 90 degrees this past week. are they too hot? we have fans in the hen house And they have access to water all day and TONS of shade. we have looked in the bushes and everywhere outside and haven't seen any tan eggs anywhere. Why have the tan egg layers stopped laying?

2. BackyardMarana

BackyardMarana Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Same with me I think it's because the heat ,only my blue English orpington,black favaucana ,cuckoo marans,and the easter egger, are laying ...so I'm only getting 5 eggs from the 20 hens I have :(

3. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I believe it is definitely the heat. I have 17 hens and I'm getting 5 to 8 eggs a day when I was getting over a dozen. Like the OP, mine have fans in the coop, lots of shade and plenty of water,they are still hot. This is to be expected. I'm just trying to keep them as comfortable as possible, we have a long way to go.....

4. plottster

plottster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2016
    Deerfield NH
    Whenever my Chickens "stop" laying it is because they are eager for a game of hide and seek or egg hunt. It usually takes me a while to hunt down the location but when I do there is generally over a dozen eggs. They excel at this game so if yours are free ranging you might want to take a second look around, under, behide the area the range. My son is an expert at finding them because he hides out in most of their favorite spots with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by