4 Out of 21 isn't bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DebraGuittar, Oct 16, 2016.

1. DebraGuittar

DebraGuittar Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    I have a flock of 21 chickens. I have 4 that are coughing(?). They have a bit of a runny nose/beak and one has watery eyes. I got some antibiotics from the vet. I am treating the individual chickens with a syringe. However, this "cold" seems to clear with one chicken and then pop up in another. What can I use to treat the whole flock at once so I'm not spending too much time driving back and forth to the vet for more stuff? My feed store guy (also raises chickens) suggested Corid. Is that good? Will it work? I need some help here.

2. scooterworm

scooterworm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Gillsville, Georgia
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. All my birds eventually had the same symptoms within a matter of days. We treated with Tylan 50 injections for 3-5 days and it worked really well. We didn't eat the eggs for one week after the last injection. I found the Tylan at a local feed store for around $18. There are several post on here about dosage amount. Good luck!

3. DebraGuittar

DebraGuittar Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    The feed store only had Corid and something else, but I know it wasn't Tylan.

4. scooterworm

scooterworm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Gillsville, Georgia
    Sorry... I don't have any experience with Corid.

5. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

I would treat with Corid, it works great! Here's a helpful post by BYC member @casportpony:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing
    To sum that post up, here are the dosages I would use for your flock:

If you buy Corid powder: 3/4 teaspoon for every gallon of water.

If you buy Corid liquid: 1 teaspoon for every gallon of water.

Mix the correct dosages of Corid and water together and give to chickens for 3-5 days. Only provide them with the Corid water. Good luck! :D

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Corid is for treating coccidiosis, not respiratory infections.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I use OXY TETRA-A...It is a powdered antibiotic...I Teaspoon per gallon of water...Treat all Birds till symptoms are gone...Will need to be remixed every 24 hours...Sounds Respiratory too me...

Cheers!

8. henny1129

I apologize, I saw the member had posted about Corid so I was thinking they were thinking they're flock had cocci. This is the second time today I have totally messed up on a thread and I apologize to everyone! :)

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    If that's the worst you ever do in your lifetime you've got it made, right??? [​IMG]

10. henny1129

Lol, yeah!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by