4 out of 26 chicks throwing up when i picked them up??scared.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffyspots13, Mar 7, 2013.

1. fluffyspots13

fluffyspots13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    I moved the chicks almost 2wks old now to another brooder for about 5 mins...then went to move them back. 4 of the chicks puked up clear/brownish liquid it was super slimy...when I picked then up and walked to their old brooder. They seem ok but this is my first time raising chicks....I'm scared for them, I have no idea what this is?

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I looked at your old posts to get a clue about what you're doing. I see you're brooding them outside. I made that mistake once and lost a lot of chicks. I keep mine in my garage, but it doesn't go much below 60* or so. With the heat lamp, they do good. Yours being in a shed in 30* weather, I bet they're getting cold.

What is their bedding material?

What are you feeding them?

Do they have clean water?

3. fluffyspots13

Feb 24, 2013
    Bedding is pine shavings..drinking water with electrolytes..eating chick starter from tractor supply.. I have two heat lamps in their now. They didn't puke at all until I moved them, I put them into the other box, cleaned their brooder, and on the way back to the brooder (in my hand) that's when they puked. I haven't seen anyone puke since/before . We have been running the wood stove at nights, and its been warm in their. The shed is insulated, its not a portable shed, my grandpa made it into a mini house concrete floor etc.

4. fluffyspots13

Feb 24, 2013
    Clean water, I change it a few times a day bc they get stuff in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by