4 out of 5 are roosters? Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmerJ0hn, Sep 18, 2011.

1. FarmerJ0hn

FarmerJ0hn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    We bought 5 wheaton ameraucanas, as it looks we think we have 4 roosters and one hen. Only one chicken is actually mostly white/light. The rest have a lot of brown and black (one brown and blue). The differences I see is we have one definate rooster with a LOT of black and brown. Then we have 2 that have not as much black and brown, and somewhat white chests (as compared to the definate roosters dark chest) and then one with blue feathers

So some pictures, The for sure rooster
    [​IMG]

The for sure hen:
    [​IMG]

Crooked toes (its name) from the top and front, not sure but think rooster because of the dark coloring (comb seems to be changing back and forth from being reder, might have been pecked) his head is still very white though, as well as the chest, so we are not sure.
    [​IMG]

(he's on the left) He still has a fairly white breast which makes us think he might not be a rooster?
    [​IMG]

The blue one, all I can say is she is as big as the for sure rooster and 2nd in pecking order (to the rooster) She has the 2nd darkest head out of all of them, and a dark chest.
    [​IMG]

I dont have a good picture of the last, he looks a lot like crooked toes (browns and blacks but whit on head and chest), he's in the background of the picture with then hen standing tall.
    [​IMG]

So I'm not really sure what's going on, maybe we didn't receive all wheatons, I don't know, they don't look like any of the standard colors.

2. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I am a newbie, but I think this is correct...Its kind of hard to tell this young. You should also try to get shots of their combs, I think a triple row of indicates males and a single row indicates female. Also the males tend to be more splashy with color and get a redder comb before the females.
    But I will guess
    #1 Roo
    #2 hen
    #3 hen? (I see a single comb)
    #4 ? It would be great to see a pic the comb
    #5 ? same as above.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How old are they in these shots?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It looks like only one rooster(crooked toes) and the rest are girls.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  6. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Sexing Wheaten Am's that are colored this fully. I would say you have one pullet. All the ones with massive amounts of black or blue across the shoulder area in my experience will be cockerals.

7. FarmerJ0hn

FarmerJ0hn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Quote:Besides the for sure rooster, their combs are about the same. By tripple row do you mean 3 bumps, because they all have more then one bump.

Quote:6 weeks and 4 days, I thought more time had passed then that. [​IMG]

Quote:Yea, I have noticed that, they don't look like any of the proper colors, I am wondering if something weird happened. I have never raised chickens so I'm not sure if the first set of feathers they get in are how they will always look or not or if they transform at their next molt. But the white hen looks like a full grown hen would, so I don't know what to think.

Quote:What area is considered the shoulder? Below the neck?

We found the chance of having 4 out of 5 be roosters to be 16% We were really hoping for 3, 2 would have been fine, but only one is [​IMG] Especially since they get along so well as a flock and the hen would be so sad to see them go.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All of your suspected boys are indeed boys.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Triple row on a 4 week cockerel, 3 rows of bumps:
    [​IMG]

I have no experience with Wheaten Ameraucanas, so I won't try to guess -- especially after reading here that males and females have different coloring! But I just thought I'd show you the triple row pea comb. [​IMG]

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I can't really venture a guess, but if others are correct, do you have other hens, or is this your whole flock? You'll want to get some company for your hen. She may get along well with the roosters now, but she'll want to get away as soon as they start mating behaviors!
    It is frustrating to end up with so many roosters. I hatched 10 eggs and got only 3 hens. I guess we'll have plenty of meat in the freezer this fall!
    Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by