4 out of 5

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chittyn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    4 out of 5 of my shipped rhode island reds have hatched.Questions:

Two of the chicks (who are in the brooder) have started to sometimes peck each othe . Is that normal ?
    The other 2 are in the incubator,brinsea mini eco, one hatched around six hours ago and the other around one hour. Can i quickly remove their shells so they have more space or do they need the humidity ?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    any 1 please [​IMG]

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

yes pecking at ecah other is normal as they are just inquisitive about each other...even young chicks still do it to each other...they see a feather or speck of something and think it's food or potential food...as long as they are not agressive towards each other...

I would say yes you can take the shell out as long as they have the temp. they don't really need the humidity any more once they hatch...

4. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    all 4 are in the brooder and are getting on well the first 2 are eating and drinking the others are huddled 2 gether under the lamp should i not disturb them until the morning

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Let them rest the first night in the brooder they will still be exhausted. [​IMG]

6. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    i think all four are eating and drinking [​IMG] i was really happy with 4 out of 6. all of them are up and about at sertain times the younger ones are stil quite but tired but i assume that is normal. also what consistancy should their poo be solid runny ect

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by