1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 pair blue peacocks going to brighton bird swap 7/10/11

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by terryinbyers, Jul 6, 2011.

1. terryinbyers

terryinbyers Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I'm new to the site and also to the bird swap. I do have 4 pair of 1 year old peacocks blues I think and want to take them to the bird swap this weekend.

Not sure what a ask for them, or if they would be worth taking up there. Just was looking for infor. Also hane two year male looking for new home.

TerryinByers

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Around 200$ a pair, I would say. Do you have 4 pairs so 8 birds? I would bring the male too like $120 for him maybe.
    They are India Blues like these right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Quote:I dont know about where your located but here in KY thats a lil steep for IB's.

4. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:I dont know about where your located but here in KY thats a lil steep for IB's.

Agreed! Here yearling male IB's goes for $25 bucks each, and 60 bucks for a yearling pair. I would go $75-100 for the 2 year old, if he is pretty!

5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    C&Rman :

Agreed! Here yearling male IB's goes for $25 bucks each, and 60 bucks for a yearling pair. I would go $75-100 for the 2 year old, if he is pretty!​

I guess you guys are right it does depend on where he is, but C&Rman ask yourself if you would have been willing to pay more. Also it definitely cost more than $25 to raise a peacock to 1 year.

6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Terryinbyers, if you are talking about the Brighton swap north of Denver, I paid $60 for a two year old male in Pueblo in December and had to drive 80 miles west to pick him up. The guy I got him from said they would be worth more near the Denver metro area. I picked up up 4 hens from SW Kansas - 1 purple for $75 & 3 IB for $25 each, which was a great deal but still drove 180 to get them.
    We also have a monthly Bent County auction where any and everything is auctioned and I picked up two juvenile males for 40 a piece last november. Hope this info helps!

7. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Shoot high, you can always come down on the price

8. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Quote:Shoot high, you can always come down on the price

LOL!!!!

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Regular IB peafowl here go for about $35 as yearlings ($20 if you can talk the seller down) at swaps. When they get their trains I usually see them listed for $70-100 at our swaps and suspect they actually go for $50-70. This spring I bought a 1.5 year old pair of IB for $70. Again, as others have said, it depends on your location. Here, the hens actually more often go for more than the cocks, because people here hoard the females and don't want to give them up.

10. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am kind of happy I live where I do, plenty of rich people who would pay way more than that (I think). Also I think $35 is absurd when I see chicks for $20 to $25

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by