4 Pekin, multiple issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onedreamersfarm, Mar 9, 2015.

1. onedreamersfarm

onedreamersfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    The past 48 hours led to multiple discoveries of duck issues. I have 4 Pekin, which I thought were all female. I have no idea how to sex a duck, but the largest Pekin is mounting a small female with at this point, two injuries. Just saw this happen for the first time tonight. How do I make sure I don't have any more males? What should I do to even this out, get more females or re-home the drake?

48 hours ago I realized the small female had a wing out of joint (or something causing it to to hang limply, but she can still flap this wing and didn't appear in pain) Any advice on this wing issue would be helpful. If it is dislodged, what is the fix? Would taking her to an Avian vet help? I don't want to pay $100 for a vet to tell me there's nothing he/she can do for my duck.

24 hours ago this same female started limping terribly. Upon inspection, I believe she has bumblefoot, which I've never treated, but now plan on buying supplies tomorrow after work to make the attempt. Sigh. Everything at once! Is it possible that it's not bumblefoot, and epsom salt baths & vitamins will do the trick?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC

what ages are your ducks, this is prime breeding season and getting started with a bang. Which means the drakes are full of hormones and want to mate constantly. having at least 3-4 ducks to one drake is really a good idea and seems Pekin drakes rate up at the top for hormones. lol You could take the duck that is having issues and put her into a separate area but where they can all still see each other, just giving her time to recoup. if she can flap her wing them it probably isn't dislodged maybe just sprained. You could try just giving her a few days rest to see if it helps. or try wrapping it using vet wrap. Do this while holding the wing in normal position then wrap just the wing. Keep the wrap on for a couple days then unwrap and see how she is doing but just rest and not being harassed by the drake maybe all she needs. making sure not to wrap too tight and cutting off circulation.
    Bumble foot usually shows up with a blk scab under the foot can you post pics of both feet on the bottom. You maybe be able to treat just doing ES soaks and colorless iodine but lets see pics first to make sure bumble is what it is.

1 person likes this.
  3. onedreamersfarm

onedreamersfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. onedreamersfarm

onedreamersfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    The injured bird & her drake are 1 year or so. The other two Pekin that I think are female are 18 months.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like it could turn into bumble what I'd do is starts soaking in warm Epsom salt water then dry and put on some colorless iodine you can buy colorless iodine at most Walmarts and I have also found it at CVS it needs to be colorless it works 2X faster than reg. keep her on clean[well clean as possible bedding ] soak at least 1Xa day for as long as she'll let you keep her in the bucket or dish pan I have used both. [don't let her drink this solution though because it is also a laxative. ] then reapply the colorless iodine every 3 days until you can pull off the scab or you see healing. doesn't really look like she has scabs so at least you won't have to do that. the bumble is usually yellow thick stuff. At this point she may not even have that. You dif want to treat this though to keep it from turning into bumble which is staff infection and can turn pretty bad if it goes systemic. Also look at what they are walking on, although we live in the mountains and have more rocks than we know what to do with and when I pick up ones laying on the ground more just appear the next day but I do try to keep the areas my flock stays in as clean of sharp objects as possible even thorns can cause bumble and splinters, cuts.etc. Give us a report in a couple days on her wing and also the feet hopefully treating the feet and giving her some rest apart from the drake will take care of things.
    Sounds like you have a good ratio having 1 drake to 3 females he is just over doing it with this small one. After she gets back doing fine you might want to think of giving him time out every once in a while if he keeps getting carried away with this one more than the others. Or rehome. But I love my drakes and realize this is just part of their nature we just have to step in once in a while if one needs a little extra care and help if getting to much attention.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does he try and mate with the 2 18 month olds?

7. onedreamersfarm

onedreamersfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    It doesn't seem so. Honestly, all 3 of the others seem to fight for her. I tried sexing them tonight, but couldn't get a penis to show itself and then couldn't catch the third, but I will make another effort soon. I'm worried I have more than one male.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You may because mating season is full blown here so you should see your 1 drake mating with the other girls if you have any other girls. You need to keep your female away from the drakes till you figure out who's who. They can stress her to the point of ill health, Can you get more females or re home if you find you have more drakes than you thought? How about eggs finding any eggs? that's another way of telling gender of course.
    I am finding out too that having 3 drakes is too many so one of mine is up for sale.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by