4' per bird rule~ translate for Banties please?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom2jedi, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I know I read it somewhere a while ago but of course can't remember. Is one banty the same as one forth of a large fowl? In other words, do four bantams require the same space as one big one? I'm looking at a coop design that says it will fit up to 8 large chickens. We're thinking we want up to 10 total but that would include 3-4 bantams and only 6-7 LF birds. Being new to chickens still, I want to make sure we have enough room for everybody.

Also, the design doesn't look like it has a door to lock the girls up at night, just a hole in the floor (raised coop style) with a ladder to the run. If the run is secure and we're in the city, should I alter the design to include a door so they are safer?

Thank you for all you help in advance! [​IMG]

Oh, here is the design I'm looking at:
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/Chicken...op_Building_Plans_up_to_8_chickens_-P535.aspx

2. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I would go ahead and put the door in just to be safe [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Bantams need about 2 sq ft per bird. You can get away with alittle less. A good rule of thumb is usually half of what large fowl need. I would go ahead and put a door on the coop just to be on the safe side.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! I was leaning toward putting a door on as well. I'm glad I asked about the bantams, I would have been so sad if I hadn't given the girls enough room!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by