1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4' perch long enough for 5-6 chicken to roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by briter30, May 18, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Is a 4' perch long enough for 5-6 chickens to fit on to roost? Also, will chickens roost on the perch if the perches are perpendicular to the opening? (meaning the chickens would face the side wall not the opening of the area? I have a very small chicken tractor and am trying to make more room to roost.
    Thanks,

Terri
    [​IMG]

2. bobbybedard

bobbybedard New Egg

Mar 24, 2010
    Four feet should be lots of room for your chickens, unless they're a very large breed. I usually get about six or seven in a four foot area. they like to squish up together at night. Why a roost in a tractor though?

3. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    What do you mean? Why a roost in a chicken tractor?

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
  5. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Four feet should be fine! [​IMG] I have a five foot roost, and 4 standard chickens and 2 bantams squeeze onto about 2 1/2 feet of it.

6. bobbybedard

bobbybedard New Egg

Mar 24, 2010
    I guess I always assumed the tractor was a daytime run only. I didn't know they were used as permanent coops as well. Glad I learned something new today.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by