4 pullets 3 eggs :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by revmichael, Feb 8, 2014.

1. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    WOO HOO - all week long I've been getting 1 egg a day out of the girls - today I found 3

Problem is 2 were found on the hardwire coop floor - 1 broken and the other with a flat side - and 1 in the nesting box

Why would 2 of them lay on the coop floor instead of inside the nesting box when they've all seen the 1 going in and out of the box all week. They all have checked out the nesting box all week. 1 or 2 of them has used it. I'm sure of 1 who was laying 1 day but not positive it's the same one all this week since 1 other day I saw a different pullet on top of an egg in the nesting box.

I have 1 box for 4 - should I get another nesting box? Maybe 1 hogged the box?

2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    I have one nesting box for 5 girls. (I actually have 2 nesting boxes, but they only ever use the one)

When mine were first laying I had golf balls in the nest box, I thought everyone knew where to go but one day I found and egg in their run... So I put the golf balls back in the nest box to remind them and never had a problem again.

New layers are getting the kinks worked out, I would try to put fake eggs in the nest box and leave them there until they all get the hang of it. I would also maybe put another temporary nest box in, just in case. But you'll probably find that they still will only use one nest.

Good luck, they will get the hang of it soon.
    :cd

3. revmichael

Sep 3, 2013
    thanks for the info -- I thought about a temporary box - I have this one built in so may go buy one from the local feed store just in cast - just hope they keep using the built in one and not the portable one lol

On my way to get a golf ball from a neighbor and of course to clean the coop floor from the 2 broken eggs :(

4. SelfMadeFarming

Sep 9, 2013
    I had built nice nesting boxes but they were using them as a bathroom...

So before they started to lay I took them out and put in an old bucket.
    It is their favorite and it cost me nothing.

Also it is so covered that they go to the bathroom in it, just on top, which is much easier to clean up.

[​IMG]

5. revmichael

Sep 3, 2013
    well yesterday I only got the 2 eggs - evidently the other was just laying in the nest just to be in the nest - but no egg from her. I did get just one today - but with yesterdays situation I now know that I have 3 of the girls laying eggs, since 1 was laying the past few days inside the nest.

Looking forward to getting more than 1 egg in a day - what can I say, I'm a newbie and this is exciting. Going to be so cool tomorrow if I get at least 1 egg, my 93 yr old mother in law is over for a few days. She gets a kick out of seeing the girls and will get a kick out of seeing me walk in from out back with an egg or 2 (or more) in my hands.

I'm raising barred rocks and right now the eggs are small - I know they will get larger

I'm giving them layer feed now - do I need to add any extra calcium, i.e. crushed shell for them to eat or will they get enough from the feed? they do not free range but have bare ground in their run to scratch at.

6. SelfMadeFarming

Sep 9, 2013
    I do give mine some oyster shell.
    But usually they can get enough from the feed, unless you notice that the shells are soft, then you would definately want to increase the calcium.

Don't forget food scraps, they love it. Especially since they don't free range.
    It's great for them and helps with keeping them busy so they don't get bored. Also helps to stretch the feed supply.
    ( salads, fruits, vegetables, noodles, bread, etc.) pretty much anything healthy.

:cd

7. SelfMadeFarming

Sep 9, 2013
    I almost forgot,
    don't forget GRIT, it helps them digest their food.
    :thumbsup

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They don't need grit if they go outside even one or two days/month.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by