4 pullets 4 eggs, will it ALWAYS be like this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We have 4 pullets 27 weeks old, today is the first day we have gotten an egg from each pullet, so this is our first time of getting 4 eggs in one since they started laying (except for the dozen or so that we found when we found our first egg several weeks ago) [​IMG]. Will they always just lay one egg a day or will they lay more as they get older?

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    1 a day some birds dont even lay every day

3. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    yes most likely they will only lay one egg a day per pullet [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It takes appx. 25 hours for an egg to develop, so you do the math...lol. Breeds that are known for faithful laying will generally lay an egg a day for 5 or 6 days, then skip a day. Some chickens only lay 2-3 eggs a week. Of course molting and winter time lack of light will slow down egg production further...

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    JUST one egg a day??? No, no, they won't lay JUST one egg a day... they'll lay 4-6 eggs a week, depending on the breed.

Physically, laying an egg is like a woman having a baby every single day (except sometimes it's a baby but mostly it's just a blob). I'd want a day (or month) off too!!!

If you're in cold climate or somewhere that daylight gets scarce, they might stop laying for the winter. Spring and summer should be rockin', though - my 2.5yr-old barred rocks only just started notably slowing down egg production. They got a great two years in and will live the rest of their lives fat and happy!

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I am glad I am finally seeing 4 eggs.

We have barnyard mutts, so it's kinda hard to look at the 'breeds' and say 'oh, yeah this is what breed I have so she should be laying x amount of eggs per week'.

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Unless you're feeding the masses, 2-4 eggs a day will catch up to you faster than you can imagine. From 7 hens we (3 people) gave away at least two dozen a week for over a year.

You will soon be your neighbors' best friend!!! [​IMG] And CONGRATS on the eggs!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by