4 pullets, only 1 laying now, will the others start again or what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We have 4 pullets now (our other 'girl' turned out to be a roo as I suspected) so that brings our little flock to an even lower number and in such a big coop, but that is another story.

So we are down to 4 and only 1 in laying right now (I know who lays what eggs) so what will happen with the others? Will the begin laying again soon, do I need to worry about any of them getting egg bound and HOW would I know if they are????

Am still hoping to have the boys OUTA HERE by the weekend and then it will be the girls only and maybe they will be happier. I know that my white fancy crested bird (who knows what she is) has been so stressed and our black on that looks like her seems to be stressed as well. They are wanting me to feed them their clover weed but the roos don't want them to have any.

So my biggest concern is Will they start laying again and how soon and do I need to watch for any signs of them being egg bound.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You don't say how old they are. Could they be approaching a molt.

Certainly if you have a bunch of roos, they are probably stressed. If that is the reason they are not laying, it may take a few weeks for them to relax again.

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Yay Chicks! :

You don't say how old they are. Could they be approaching a molt.

Certainly if you have a bunch of roos, they are probably stressed. If that is the reason they are not laying, it may take a few weeks for them to relax again.

Sorry, they are 26 weeks, maybe 27 I would have to look at a calendar to be for sure.

I was thinking since this is their first fall, they wouldn't have 'real' molt, but I guess I could be wrong. None of them are really without feathers except for the two roos. One of them was plucked of all his tail feathers a while back by one of our other roos (he been gone for a while) and the other roo we have *the roo from He#@ has some feathers missing, but I think that is where my son keeps plucking them out.

Anyway, yeah I think they are stressed about the *roo from He#@ because he is so mean.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by