1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Roos, 11 hens, problem? suggestions appreciated

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carsNchickens, Jun 2, 2011.

1. carsNchickens

carsNchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    i have a year old golden cukoo muran roo, a 2 month old amerucuna roo, and 2 barnyard mixture roos that are 5 months old. They are in the same flock with 2 americuanna hens and 9 dominecker hens. At this current time the golden cuckoo roo is dominant and is the one that crows but not the only one that does the roosterly duties... i do not want to harm my hens, with that being said will having 4 roos with 11 hens be a problem? the roos aren't fighting for dominance right now but i suspect they will once the 5 month old barnyard mixes grow spurs... any help or suggestions would be great!!!

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    That's a lot of roos for that many hens! I have two roosters with eleven hens, and have to keep them locked in individual pens - they stripped the hens bald and then starting gouging them. It takes months for the feathers to grow back, and the poor hens look pitiful. I'll only be letting the boys out one at a time when I need fertile eggs.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

ONE rooster is enough for your 11 hens. With 4 roosters...your hens will soon have NO FEATHERS !!!

EAT 3 Roosters!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree!!!

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:I agree!!!

x3 ...I had too many roos....they didn't fight so I thought they'd be ok...well now I have bald hens until they molt....since we got rid of the extra roos...my hens are much happier and so am I!

6. carsNchickens

carsNchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    thanks for the input guys! if i had not been a member on here i wouldnt have known til it was too late... [​IMG] i guess its time to either build seperate pens or start cooking... any suggestions on which roo to keep? i would like to be able to sell fertile hatching eggs but thats NOT top on my list. i want the best for the flock so lend a less expierenced guy some knowledge over here lol

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    If you want to sell fertile hatching eggs, I would keep another roo but keep him seperate. This is because if you loose your single roo to a predator attack, accident, etc, then you'll have a backup. just my idea though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by