leighjay33

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Thomaston, GA
I have 4 Sebrights, 2 boys and 2 girls. I adopted them from a man who kept them all together in a small coop. They are extremely attached to each other (which is adorable) but I have some concerns. The girls started laying sweet little eggs about 2 months ago, somedays 1 egg a piece which I collect every morning. I have observed the boys (cockerels) are mounting the girls multiple times a day. Is this bad for the girls? The boys keep them in line every minute with their wings, it seems stressful to the girls. If I need to seperate, do I put 1 boy & 1 girl together? Or move both boys together? Any advice is welcomed!
IMG_20200225_132452_049.jpg

I would remove one boy at least. Maybe both if they are getting mated too much. They will wear the feathers off they end backs, and possibly pull out head feathers. With bantams I would recommend at least 5 hens to a rooster, and up to 12.

It is stressful to the hens to be constantly harassed with mating. Some roosters will mate a few times an hour.

I would remove one boy at least. Maybe both if they are getting mated too much. They will wear the feathers off they end backs, and possibly pull out head feathers. With bantams I would recommend at least 5 hens to a rooster, and up to 12.

It is stressful to the hens to be constantly harassed with mating. Some roosters will mate a few times an hour.
Indeed! I notice the boys are consistently mating the hens, seems like at least once an hour. I guess they are growing up! I appreciate the advice so much! I was wondering if I needed to get more hens. If I seperate the boys, will they have seperation anxiety? I don't want to be cruel, and like I said all four are really attached to each other. I really feel sorry for the hens though so I gotta do something. Thanks again!

The boys are mostly interested in mating. I routinely keep roosters separately if they are too much. If you got more hens than at least in theory the mating should be spread out more.

One thing to be aware of is if you separate the males you may have troubles putting them back together. So separate them together, or plan on rotating them out.

Multiple males create an environment of competition,
which can bring out the worst of all their behaviors.

I'd get rid of one of the males, or both depending on your goals for keeping chickens.

You only really need a male in your flock if you want to hatch eggs.
other reasons are personal preference.

The boys are mostly interested in mating. I routinely keep roosters separately if they are too much. If you got more hens than at least in theory the mating should be spread out more.

One thing to be aware of is if you separate the males you may have troubles putting them back together. So separate them together, or plan on rotating them out.
Thank u so much! U have been very helpful. I'm still new to this, I love those kids so much I just want to do what's best for them...thanks again!!

Multiple males create an environment of competition,
which can bring out the worst of all their behaviors.

I'd get rid of one of the males, or both depending on your goals for keeping chickens.

You only really need a male in your flock if you want to hatch eggs.
other reasons are personal preference.
I'm still new to this, I'm not sure what my intentions are lol....I took over these 4 kids when they were young from an older man who couldn't keep them. He gave me a book on Sebrights and told me that all four had been together always. Getting rid of one might be impossible for me, singling out just 1, Dang that's tough. It would be painful for sure cuz I love those kids. Any suggestions on how to re-home 1 Sebright cockerel?

I'm still new to this, I'm not sure what my intentions are lol....I took over these 4 kids when they were young from an older man who couldn't keep them. He gave me a book on Sebrights and told me that all four had been together always. Getting rid of one might be impossible for me, singling out just 1, Dang that's tough. It would be painful for sure cuz I love those kids. Any suggestions on how to re-home 1 Sebright cockerel?
Yep, it's where the Romance meets the Reality of chickeneering.
As my signature sez:
Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

Advertise here on BYC in the https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67
Put up ads in local farm stores, local craigslist, local facebook poultry groups.

Back
Top Bottom