1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Silkies...Pullets or Cockerels??? Plz help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinachickie, Jan 9, 2013.

1. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    I was given four Silkies on Monday. I'm not exactly sure of their exact age since they were given to me from a family friend's boss who got them from a classroom that hatched them. Not sure if they are old enough to start guessing yet, but which look like pullets/cockerels? Thanks! I'm really hoping at least the white one is a pullet! Fingers crossed!!!......

Marshmallow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nugget:

[​IMG]

Tater Tot:

[​IMG]

Popcorn:

[​IMG]

And a few group shots of all four of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am going to go out on a limb (which I know better than to do when it comes to young silkies) and say that you have hit the jackpot with 3 pullets and a cockerel. You are welcome to come back in 3months and tell me how far wrong I am. [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like either:
    1 cockerel and 3 pullets
    OR
    2 cockerels and 2 pullets

4. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks...which ones do you think look like the cockerels? I really hope the white one turns out to be a pullet, but not so sure now. :(

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think these two are your cockerels.

6. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Oh no! The one that I really wanted to be a pullet..Just my luck lol :(

Thanks though.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    x3

9. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    I figured that Popcorn is a cockerel. As soon as I opened the box and layed eyes on him I instantly said, "that's a boy". But how can you tell that Marshmallow (the white one) is a cockerel? I just can't seem to tell with him or any of the others...but again, I am a beginner with chickens and just trying to learn as much as possible. :)

10. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Well it turned out that Nugget (the brown one) is a cockerel, and Popcorn (the lighter grey one) is also a cockerel. Which I figured Popcorn was, but was surprised that Nugget is too. The white and other grey are pullets. At least I get to keep the two of them and thank goodness the white one turned out to be a pullet because I really like her :) They are a lot more fluffy now too, especially the top of Marshmallow's head and beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by