4 SilverSpangled Hamburgs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bjcoop, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    They are about 1 year old and are dependable layers.

MM DESCRIPTION : Of rather small size, with light but sweeping, graceful outlines, they are elegant and beautiful. They have a kind of bright cheerfulness about them when foraging over open range and they love this kind of situation. Their origin goes back beyond the memory of man in both England and Holland and they were such prolific layers of white eggs that a common name for them was "the Dutch Everyday Layer." Although egg size is medium they are small eaters and cost less to keep than most breeds. The lustrous greenish black spangles on silvery white plumage give them a perky polkadot look. With neat rose combs, white ear lobes, leaden blue shanks and toes, these are excellent small birds for both beauty and utility.

I'd like these girls to go together. They are quite happy birds, and I hate to see them go, but have to downsize due to job situation. [​IMG]

I've always called these girls "my rebels" but I will miss them. I would like them to go to a good home.

[​IMG]

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Would you be willing to ship them?

3. bjcoop

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I think I can ship them, but haven't shipped live birds yet. I think I can. If anyone has any recommendations on how to ship live, I would appreciate it.
    These are wonderful birds and I want to do this as comfortably as possible for them.

4. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    How much are you asking for them? I have never shipped live birds either, so I am not sure how that works.

5. bjcoop

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Oh, forgot the cost!
    $25 for all 4 hens plus whatever shipping ends up totalling.
    --Julie

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Shipping is what is going to cost the most, I think. Not sure if you will get all of them in one box. Might take 2.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Since they are bantam, they might fit in one box. But the box is $ and the shipping is $ too. You're probably looking at an average cost of $100 to ship all 4 birds, if you can use 1 box. More if you use 2 boxes.

I checked into this a while back. Hard to find the special boxes with air filters. Goggled it, found a site with them, but I think they wanted around $30 for the box [​IMG]

8. bjcoop

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    WOW! Shipping IS expensive! Think I'll look into this a little more. If it means a good home for my girls, hmmm....
    Last job I had, I became pretty good at making custom boxes, which I do quite often at home. LOL The air filter part might be the challenge (but I love a challenge).
    I'll post what I discover....
    --Julie

9. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Wow, I had no idea it was that expensive to ship. I guess I won't be doing that.

Marie

10. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Where are you in Western NY? We spend most of July there too (14701). Maybe if you still have them, I could get them then...
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by