4 so far...pics, tho from phone

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
So today is Day 19. I've got 4 baby quail that have hatched so far. Mama Silkie and Aunt Lou are keeping protectiive watch over the littluns and still waiting to see if the other eggs will hatch. Baby quail are super cute.
Here are the Mamas... Mama Silkie, who bogarts all the eggs and chicks for herself, and Aunt Lou, who thinks she has a major part in it all, but really just hangs out and keeps Mama Silkie company.
59865_2011-08-17_17-24-06_687.jpg

59865_2011-08-17_17-24-24_312.jpg

And the newest to hatch, with Mama Silkie looking on happily....
59865_2011-08-17_17-28-12_889.jpg

Last edited:
Yup! Both Mama silkie and Aunt Lou are happily taking care of the littluns. They LOVE being mamas together and thhis is the second tiime for them hatching and raising togethher. There are still 4 eggs that Mama Silkie is sitting on. I will be removiing them either tomorrow or Saturday if they don't hatch.

I've never had a hen hatch out quail before, so I'm not sure how long I will let the mamas in with them. I heard they can start flying at a week old, so I will see how it works. They are in their own brooder box with a run attached, so they may be able to hang with the babies a little longer.

OH! And now there are 7 babies! Pretty good hatch so far....I just hope there are more girls than boys in the batch. I am starting up my own quail breeding/ egg "business" and these are my beginning flock.

Last edited:
Good to hear they are doing well, the button quail I know start flying about 1 week, I am on my first batch of coturnix quail eggs tho myself. 54 coturnix eggs. I am doing the same thing you are lol. Except with an incubator of course lol.

Back
Top Bottom