4 thermometers, all with a different temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princessmama, Feb 14, 2011.

1. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    What do you do when you have four thermometers in your incubator and they all tell you something different??? Two are digital thermometer/hygrometer that I tested yesterday with the salt in a ziplock (one read 12% low the other 8% low). At the time they were reading the same or one degree different. I've had my incubator going since yesterday noon. One of the digitals stays at 97* (except for an occasional spike to 102*, earlier when I tried turning the thermostat up before I put the other thermometers in, then it would drop back to 97). The other digital is reading 100*. The other two say 98* and 101*

I would be happy if even two of them said the same thing!

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Are they all in the same spot? For me, 3 degrees is fine. But.... I am not that particular. [​IMG]

3. GeneJordan

GeneJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Arnaudville, La
    I have two, and they are different also... I just figure an average

4. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Ok. I was kinda thinking if they were within a couple degrees of each other I'd go ahead a put the eggs in. [​IMG] Thanks!

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    pick one and get rid of three.. pick the one that you think is most correct,,,, it sounds like the one digital that was only 8% off

you will drive yourself crazy trying to guess which one to follow if you use more than one..

pick just one,, go with it, and see what the hatch brings.. If you get a good hatch,stay with that one..

6. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Same happent to me, its all about the spot where you will place the wire of the thermostat and the eggs, count that spots degrees

7. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Quote:That's the one I picked [​IMG] Thanks everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by