4 therms, 4 temps! Little Giant...New Q on Clay vs. Water weasel...?

jensaisquoi

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Livingston, Montana
Re-posting of former Manic question:

I have fifteen Delaware eggs in a Little Giant incubator. I have a reptile thermometer with a probe inside a Ziploc snack bag filled with water and folded over and taped-- to approximate a water weasel.
It says 99.3 and it's in the turner rack with the eggs on the outside row. I tried to calibrate this one with snow slush water and it read a little high...?!?

I have two food thermometers such as the ones for testing meat which I calibrated with snow-slush water for freezing temps; both tested ok. They are reading about 100-101 alongside/on top of eggs.

I have a new Radio Shack thermometer (just purchased) with probe sort of dangling at the top of the eggs, rather near the heating element. Reading 105!!! I just stuck the probe in some snow slush and it read 34.4 so maybe it's a piece of junk...!?!
I am losing my mind.

I also have two hygrometers with percentages about 5% off--one's 45 and one's 50...It's dry here so I'm okay with that.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this insanity? I am trying to be calm but is my new flock after the others were killed so I'm a little overly invested I think...

Thanks,

Jen

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will come along with something more specific for you...

I know your stress... I was there before.. my BEST advice is for you to just start reading. During my incubation trials I consumed EVERY SINGLE THREAD in this incubation forum.

You need to calibrate thermometers to know for sure... or you have to be willing to have a little trial and error. Take good notes on what's going on and read threads in the meantime. You will quickly see your not alone and that there is tons of info on this very subject... I myself posted pretty much the same question because my 3 thermometers all read something different.

In time I learned one of mine should say 102.. another 97.8-98.3 and the last at 100..

read the thermometer threads and candeling threads so you can monitor your progress and make slight adjustments if your sure they are needed. after a few hatches you'll have the hang of that stuff.

So, Twigg...

I used the clay method and calibrated my reptile thermometer and my new one to the medical thermometer but NOW, my question is this:

The New thermometer, the more accurate one, is in the clay--the reptile one is reading two degrees low. I have the reptile one in the homemade water wiggler and it is reading almost 10 degrees lower than the clay. So which is the more accurate medium? I was thinking the internal temp of an egg would be affected by its medium... (albumen, yolk, whatever..>?)

so is it more similar to water, or clay? I guess the next thing I could try would be sticking the clay therm into the water wiggler!? eeek.

thanks!

Jen

Use ONE thermostat and hygrometer (springfield is good) stick with one and then you don't make yourself insane
smile.png

So, even if I use the one I think is most accurate...

where should it be?

In the clay it registers _much_ higher than in the water/baggie/weasel thing.

In the air it's saying 103!!? with the most accurate thermometer but the weasel is still saying 95 (adjusted for error). ?A?A?A?A?AAAAA???!

Meat thermometers are steadily saying 100..

Has anyone ever used a non fertile egg with a hole in it to calibrate? That's my next step. I'm losing hope that I have ANY idea what is going on in there.

whaaaa...

Jen

Yes Soccer mom o' 7

I did use the medi therm on the baggie and it read low...So I'm still perplexed...I feel like it's a miracle that anyone gets anything to hatch out of an LG. I bought these eggs and they are beautiful so I will feel awful if I just wasted them but I really don't have any idea what is going on in there...just kind of splitting the difference on the info I have from my thermometers!!! Good luck on your hatch and keep me posted!!!!

Best

jen

Back
Top Bottom