4 to 5 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by simba49450, May 23, 2008.

1. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi everyone

I have just joined and I am curious. The chicks are almost all feathered out, when can I take the light out at night. Right now they are on a 25 watt bulb. I'm not sure and was wondering if anyone knows that can help me.

thanks!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If you followed the rule of 95 degrees the first week, lowered 5 degrees per week after that, then the light can be removed at 5 or 6 weeks, or whenever you reach 70 degrees.

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not too sure where you are but my Chick-Chick never did have a light in her brooder with her after she came home with us (she was 3 days old).

As for our cuties, they're only 2 days old but did well without a light for most of last night.

Of course, night time temps here hover between 70-76 and I've covered their brooders with a really heavy blanket folded a couple of times so it's been easier than if we were living somewhere colder. So I may abandon the light altogether from tonight on.

The hatchery I got them from does recommend that you turn off the lights for about 20 minutes every now and then to get the babies used to darkness.

Good luck!

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That depends a lot on your daily highs and nightly lows there. Chicks generally are pretty well feathered out around 7 wks. old and then I would say it would be safe to remove the heat lamp. If it is warm (70's) during the daytime it would probably be okay to unplug during the day, but I would leave it plugged in at night for a few more weeks if the nightly temps drop below 70 degrees.

5. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks alot!!
    that helped me very much thank you all!!!

6. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Would my 5 week olds be fine in a uninsulated coop with 40* lows at night.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:With a heat lamp, yes. See my post above.

8. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    thank you I'll have to pick up another heat lamp so I can get them out of the house. My heat lamp is on the chicks I ordered from Ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by