4 to 5 weeks old rir chicks and i let them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jonbanks, Aug 16, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    run around the yard for a few hours each day. i also keep a close eye on them so no hawks or anything that we have here in georgia dont get hold of them. is that ok?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chicks have been going outside for playtime since they were just shy of 2 weeks old, under close supervision. Yes, it's fine.

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I did the same with our RIR babies when they were little and they loved it. Where inb Ga. are you located ?? I am in Newnan.

4. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    im in pine mt area

5. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Hey that is not to far at all !!! I have friends there and we love to go to Roosevelt State Park. Welcome to the BYC !!!!

6. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    thanks yeah its not far at all

7. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I take my week olds and sometimes younger outside for as long as they can take the cool temperatures. I watch them and when they start to shiver, huddle up, or make sad sounds I take them back in to the battor. As they get older their play time outside gets longer until I can leave them in a chicken tractor for most of the day.
    A rule of thumb is to keep them at 95 degrees and then 5 degrees lower each week. so at 4 weeks they should be able to tolerate temps down to 80 degrees.
    Watch them just to make sure. If they huddle up they are a bit cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by