4 week chick cough/supplements vs medicine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by betherflies, Mar 14, 2017.

1. betherflies

betherflies New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Help! One of my 4 week old chicks has a tiny cough. I didn't worry about it too much because she drinks and has a healthy appetite. Now I've noticed some of the others have it. I looked on here and some have said use antibiotics. Is this safe? I'm not sure where to get them. I called Rural King and they only have vitamins and electrolytes. There's an organic farm supply here and they said they carry general wellness supplements such as apple cider vinegar and oregano oil. Does anyone have any experience with this? I tend to go the organic route for my own body, but am honestly hesitant to do so for chicks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of your setup?
    Any videos of the coughing or how they are acting?
    Any other symptoms besides a cough - runny eyes, mucous, sneezing, etc.?
    How often are they coughing?

There can be several causes of coughing. Respiratory illness, dry dusty conditions (feed, bedding), ammonia in a poorly ventilated housing/brooder, molds, etc.

You can first try to investigate if the symptoms improve with using something like VetRx, check to see if there is proper ventilation and the brooder/housing is clean before you use any type of antibiotics. Watch the chicks to see if the coughing only occurs during/after eating - it's possible they could be inhaling feed particles.

If all of them have a severe cough, then you will most likely need to treat with antibiotics if there symptoms don't improve or they develop more symptoms.Antibiotics will only treat any secondary infections if the cause is respiratory disease.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. betherflies

betherflies New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately, I'm at work and don't have pictures, but they are in a clean, well ventilated area in a coop. There's a heat lamp to keep them warm and clean pine shavings.
    They don't have runny eyes or mucus. Other than the cough they seem fine and cute and cuddly as ever. It's just a little tiny noise i wish i could record it, but it's steady.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Since they don't have any other symptoms try using VetRx first to see if that helps. As mentioned earlier, antibiotics will only help treat any secondary infections (bacterial). If they start to sound "phlegmy" (congested/rattled breathing) or develop mucous from the nostrils or watery eyes, then antibiotics would most likely be needed to treat them.

5. betherflies

betherflies New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you so very much! I'm a very worried newbie chick mom, so I really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by