4 week chick eye problem

daisyli89

Hatching
Mar 5, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi everyone,
My Silkie hen hatched many babies. But one of them seems weird today. It was fine this moring and just afternoon it was not able to open left eye. I gave it some eye drop(to kill bacteria that I use) but not worked well. Anyone can help with it?

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi @daisyli89 :frowWelcome To BYC

Does she have any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, wheezing, mucous from the nostrils?
She may have some debris in the eye or scratched which caused infection or it could be respiratory illness.
Flush the eye with saline - you may need to apply warm compresses to get the eye open. Remove any pus/discharge and debris that's in the eye. If the eye drops you have are an antibiotic eye drop, that would be good to use. You can also use plain triple antibiotic ointment.
Sometimes there's semi hard pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out of the eye. Keep working on it until you get it out. Repeat your flushing/removal of pus and application of drops/ointment at least 2times a day.
Hope she gets better soon.

Hi @daisyli89 :frowWelcome To BYC

Does she have any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, wheezing, mucous from the nostrils?
She may have some debris in the eye or scratched which caused infection or it could be respiratory illness.
Flush the eye with saline - you may need to apply warm compresses to get the eye open. Remove any pus/discharge and debris that's in the eye. If the eye drops you have are an antibiotic eye drop, that would be good to use. You can also use plain triple antibiotic ointment.
Sometimes there's semi hard pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out of the eye. Keep working on it until you get it out. Repeat your flushing/removal of pus and application of drops/ointment at least 2times a day.
Hope she gets better soon.

I tried yesterday but didn't see anything inside. The only thing I saw was its eyeball. It is not coughing, sneezing, or has any other symptom. But the bird can't eat properly and sometimes bullied by the others due to the eye problem. I live in NZ and don't really know where I can get the ointment, I will have a look at the vet's clinic.

I wish I could help you but I’ve never seen anything like this—from what you said that the other chicks bully her I would definitely separate her until she gets better put a small stuffy with her and make share she is warm

I’m so sorry for your baby and I hope she gets well very soon❤️❤️

As nasty as it is when puss forms in the eye....... it sure does look like fun picking it out. Or am I the only one that thinks that? Hahaha.

I tried yesterday but didn't see anything inside. The only thing I saw was its eyeball. It is not coughing, sneezing, or has any other symptom. But the bird can't eat properly and sometimes bullied by the others due to the eye problem. I live in NZ and don't really know where I can get the ointment, I will have a look at the vet's clinic.
Check with your vet to see if they have eye drops or ointment that you can put in the eye.
I would try to keep it flushed out and/use warm compress to help get the crust off so hopefully she can get the eye open.

I tried again today. Nothing inside. But today this one is all fine, eating well, walking well and go with the others well. Does it look like a kind of infectious disease? Otherwise, I will still put them together because being only one is very lonely and it will keep crying if I move it out. Poor little one...

I tried again today. Nothing inside. But today this one is all fine, eating well, walking well and go with the others well. Does it look like a kind of infectious disease? Otherwise, I will still put them together because being only one is very lonely and it will keep crying if I move it out. Poor little one...
It's hard to know if it's caused by an infectious disease or if some type of bacteria was introduced to the eye by scratching it, etc.
Either way, if she was with the other one when the eye began to swell, whatever is going on with her, the other one has been exposed.
I would continue to work on keeping the eye open, apply your drops and put her back so they can be together.

Back
Top Bottom