4 Week Chick Won't Eat Bugs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sylvie, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I have one Ameraucana chick that I have caught picking the breast feathers of others( all 4 weeks) while they are on the low roost. Today while I had them outside I noticed that she didn't eat the bugs, worms or crickets that I was catching for them.
    I let her and 3 other docile chicks out later and concentrated on getting the bugs to them without the aggressive chicks present. She doesn't have much curiosity about them and didn't eat any. She eats the starter ration well, though. I think she is possibly protein deficient and that's why she tries to eat the feathers. How can I up her protein if she won't eat bugs? I have tried cottage cheese and fried eggs. She only loves grasses and starter, that's it.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The starter is probably enough protein. Sometimes picking is just from boredom, or a habit. Chicks can be slow to try new things - just keep introducing her to the other foods and she'll figure it out eventually.

Also, be sure to add grit to their food now if you are adding additional foods than crumbles.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My RIR prefers vegetation & slugs whereas my BR prefers, well, anything & everything else! (DBF has started calling the BR "Dump Truck" rather than "Dumpling" because she can really pack it away.)

Could be just a matter of personal taste for the chickens. Keep trying!

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    It would be normal rooster behavior to let hens eat first but then pick at them. Try reducing the light in the brooder and switching to red light if you have white light.

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I could see this behavior at 4 weeks? I hope that doesn't mean I have a roo.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I could see this behavior at 4 weeks? I hope that doesn't mean I have a roo.

It is early. I mentioned it because if the chickens were older, and it was a roo, it would be normal. Chicks start sparring for pecking order at 1-2 weeks. Just something to think about.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by