4 week cornish x small? pic added

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bryan8, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well my cornish rocks from ideal hatchery will be 4 weeks old on wednesday.

They are on a 7am - 7pm feeding and they are on purina flock raiser.

How come they look soo small?
    I dont think they will be 6 pounds in 6 weeks like ideal says... There only look like there around a pound.

any advice?

~Bryan

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    How much protein in the purina flock raiser? I have not raised them myself but I have read on here that they put on a lot of their weight the last couple weeks.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They will really grow in the next two weeks. It is possible for them to at least double their size in two weeks. Make sure they have enough feeder space per bird. How many do you have?

4. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    There only 3 and they have a 18 inch feeder. There crops are full every day. Even if they dubled in size they would only be 2 pounds. There mostly naked and not feathered out. It's 20% protien

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They should be bigger than that at 4 weeks. The other possibility is that they are not Cornishes. There was a thread a week or so ago where the poster received White Leghorns instead of Cornishes. They weren't from Ideal though. If you can, please post some picks of them. That may help get a more definitive answer.

6. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    were did you get them at?

7. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    can you post a pic

8. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    There def Cornish rocks, I'll get pics when I get home. Are Cornish rocks the same as Cornish x? Could of I got "duds"?

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I got 45 Cornish Rock Xs from MM, 20 in one batch and 25 in the next a week apart. I got a Straight Run on the first batch and ended up with 7 males/13 females. I took the cockerels and 2 pullets in last week, they were 8 weeks, the biggest dressed out at 5lb6oz. Three were over 5 and the smallest was a pullet at 3lb15oz. I think that is a pretty good weight in comparison to what I buy at the grocery store. We feed a 20% duck and goose grower and it seems to put the weight on just fine. The do seem small until those last couple of weeks for sure, then they grow like crazy. I did lose one pullet to something that got its paws in through the wire. I have two from the second batch that was to be all male (got 2 pullets) and I have two that look a bit smaller that the others, but I bet they still are going to dress out right around 4lbs. I am in no way disappointed with them I just think they are freaks and am not sure if I want to raise them again.
    I think you will find that with 2 more weeks you are going to see a tremendous amount of weight going on your birds.
    Good luck.

P.S. Have you picked them up recently? Their appearance is a bit deceiving and they weigh more than they look. The missing feathers is not unusual on these guys, I have learned, I have a few naked butts out in my pen, and they are the smaller ones too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, before people get too carried away thinking of Theories it would be good to pop a few of the critters on a reliable scale and see how much they actually truly weigh. If they *really* only weigh a pound there's something wrong but it would be easy for them to *look* that way but actually be significantly heavier. Could you do this and let us know?

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by