4 week old all of a sudden has issues walking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TripMomma, Feb 23, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Hi, please help! I have a 4 week old chick that I just noticed is having some difficulty walking, her legs seem weak, she is walking a bit uncoordinated and when she tries to move to fast her legs splay out from under her. Any ideas what could be going on here, and what I can do to help her? She came from a feed store that orders their chicks from Ideal and Privett, she is a Barred Rock and according to the feed store was vaccinated. They were treated with Sulmet for 5 days, but have been off meds for a week now. I put probiotics and electrolytes in their water for a few days after stopping the meds. They are eating medicated food, a couple times a week they get a small amount of dried meal worms, dry oat meal.

2. Darceyhs

Darceyhs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
  3. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks. I am not leaning towards splay leg since she can walk and stand normally as long as she doesn't move too fast (only splays out if she is trying to run from me)...just seems off balance and weak in the legs.
    I was wondering about a vitamin problem...since the sulmet can be harsh. I am going to pick up some poly-vi-sol and keep my fingers crossed.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vitamins and probiotics are necessary after treatment for coccidiosis. Also if you can chop a small amount of kale, and add it to her feed, it will supply vitamin K that is needed. She may be weak from the illness, but keep an eye on her in case she is showing signs of lameness. Many vitamins contain probiotics.

5. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks. I have my hubby bringing home the poly-vi-sol (no iron) in a couple hours, he will bring me some kale too. I hope I caught it early enough to help her, she seemed normal yesterday. Everyone else seems fine, but I will add the vitamins and kale to their water/food too.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The dosage of Polyvisol is 2-3 drops given orally to each chicken daily.

7. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you. Do I give all 3 drops at once, or 1 drop three times a day? How many days do they need to be on it?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give 2 or 3 drops once a day for 3 days.

9. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Gotcha...will do. Thanks again!

10. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Is this your 'drunk walker' from another thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by