4 week old Australorps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ippolitima, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ippolitima

ippolitima Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Hi everyone. I have three chicks that hit 4 weeks today. They are supposed to be australorps. They look pretty big relative to pictures I have seen on this site and their feet are yellow. I know this has been discussed on previous postings and it sounds like I need to wait and see but I thought I’d try to post some pictures in case anyone had strong opinions about what they are.

Thanks.
    Michele

This photo is out of focus (hard to take indoor pictures of chicks on a rainy day) but it gives an indication of the foot color…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also sort of see the foot color in this photo…
    [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I think so [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  4. ippolitima

Sep 12, 2010
    Yes, that's what I am afraid of. I will just be a bit disappointed since I'd heard good things about Australorps.

Michele

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Robin'sBrood :

Hmmmmm, my BA didn't have any yellow on her feet, but who knows. On the other hand, maybe they're Jersey Giants instead of Australorps. [​IMG] http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/BJG/BRKBJGs.html

I agree..they look like Jersey Giants to me considering that the bottoms of their feet at yellow and you even mentioned that they seem really big for their age. Either way they are great birds.​

6. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I raise and breed Austrolorps, first of all they are the friedliest niciest breed we have, also great layers and good mamas. Only complain is they go broody frequently, so austrolorps are a great breed for you to get. With that being said a trait and breed characteristic of Austrolorps is that they have pure black feet and toenails.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You have jersey giants.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'd love to have some Jersey Giants, I think they are gorgeous with their big, brown eyes! Let's hope they're all pullets no matter what they are. [​IMG]

BTW... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. ippolitima

Sep 12, 2010
    As long as they are good with small children, we will be happy. We only have the three chicks and (soon) a large coop. When will it be obvious that they are not roosters? I got them from someone who ordered a female pack from My Pet Chicken. I (clearly) didn't really know what to ask.

10. ippolitima

Sep 12, 2010
    Also, thank you to everyone for posting and for the nice welcome. I'm sure I will be posting lots more questions.

Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by