4 week old bantam cochin: General lethargy and thinness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverPhoenix, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I bought a red bantam cochin chick last week, and she seems to be a bit under the weather all the sudden today. [​IMG] She's about four weeks old and was slightly beat up when I bought her, but she was very energetic. Now she seems somewhat underweight (her keel is a bit sharp) and she is standing there closing her eyes and sleeping. The serama chick who is her friend/companion (and was from my own birds) is fine, on the other hand. They've both been on flock raiser and have plenty of food and water.

Does anyone have any general suggestions to try and perk her up? I have Clavamox I could give her and I know the proper dosages for birds, but I'm not sure that would be the right thing to do. Any recommendations? I would be sad to lose her so randomly. I can run to the feed store and pick something up for her tomorrow if need be.

2. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Some of my birds showed the same symptoms, and i had to deworm. Tape worms could be the reason for your chick too. Now because chickens do not have the best hygiene rules, the tape worms from the sick bird's droppings can enter through food in the others too. If tape worms is the reason clean the coop and if their outside area is small do it there as well.

3. BB Ranch

BB Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    Two of the new pullets I got had only those symptoms. An autopsy diagnosed it as Merek's or avian leukosis. They did not have any of the Merek's signs at all. Just lethargic and not putting on weight, not eating well, and not growing.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, she's worse this morning and it seems she may have coccidiosis? Her stool is bloody. It seems like it's too late to save her now. I'm sad, but her symptoms came on so suddenly I didn't even get a chance to treat them, so I suppose there's nothing else I can do... [​IMG] I have her on a heating pad so at least hopefully she will pass peacefully. Poor thing, I wonder if she got it from the feed store? The serama chick in with her is as healthy as ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by