4 Week Old Barred Rock Chickens boys or girls?? Got pictures now

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SportChick, Jul 12, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have 6 BR that will be 4 weeks old on 7/14. On day #2, we were pretty sure that we had 4 roos (maybe 5) and only 1 definite pullet. I can't keep any roosters so of course this had me a little disappointed and stressed out. I found someone who wants BR roosters and so that seems perfect right? He wants to come get them in 2 weeks and now that they are older, only 2 of them are convincing roosters. They are lighter in color and have bigger combs, and are a bit more aggressive to the other chicks. The other 2 that I thought were roosters are looking darker in their coloring and don't have very big combs at all. I can't convincingly tell "beefy" legs from dainty hen legs.

I may not have an opportunity to give them away again, but I really don't want to give away a hen by accident. Is it worth posting pictures since they are only 4 weeks old? Should I go by my original 2 day old assessment? Probably just need to wait before giving them away.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Can you post photos? I'm sure with photos people would be able to help you [​IMG]

3. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. My question was more about whether I just need to wait and see, or can I make a pretty good guess at this point.

4. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    People can tell you already on this breed I bet.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Coloring is how you tell. Females are more black with white barring. Males are more white with black barring.

Female:
    [​IMG]

Male:
    [​IMG]

6. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I tried to go take pictures but it is dark and they are sleepy so wouldn't really cooperate. I will re-post tomorrow. Thanks. Do you think it is better to go by their current coloring or their 2 day old coloring?

7. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Quote:Current coloring, for sure. The older they are, the easier it is to tell.

8. Hat Lady

Hat Lady Hatching

May 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Some pictures for you to compare:
    Here is a picture of two 4 week-old barred rock cockerals. On the BR in the back, notice the more developed (red-ish) comb, the yellow legs and the lighter gray feathers.

[​IMG]

The next picture is of our 6-ish week old pullet. Note her smaller, less developed comb, even though she's about 2 weeks older than the BR in the above picture. Also notice the darker wash on the front of her pink-ish legs. I have read that not all BR females have this dark wash, although it's quite common among pullets.

[​IMG]

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your barred rocks. I love our 4 BR pullets. It's a great breed. [​IMG]

9. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Ok here are the pictures. The first 3 are the ones I am not sure about although I would love confirmation about the last 3 also.

Chicken #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure this is a definite Roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is a pretty-for-sure Roo also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She better be a pullet!! Sorry she's a bit blurry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give.

10. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Quote:I second your guesses: #4 & #5 are most likely cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by