4 Week Old Barred Rock--Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bathomas, Dec 8, 2015.

1. bathomas

bathomas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Kentucky
    Okay, folks! I'm brand new to this so I need your help. I adopted these little ones at one week old when they needed a home. I'm starting to worry that my BR is a cockerel. What are your thoughts? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The large head spot and the heavier white barring could indicate a male, but I would wait a bit longer before being sure.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

4. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just observing the stance...looking rather male like. Honestly though, it's too early to be accurate. It would be good if you post in another 3-4 weeks. I know, it's a terrible waiting game!

5. bathomas

Dec 8, 2015
    Kentucky
    That's what I've gathered from the research I've done, as well. Rats! Guess I will have to wait it out to be sure.

Are there certain behaviors that could indicate gender? The BR has been jumping on my Rhode Island Red the past couple of days and seems to be becoming more dominant.

6. bathomas

Dec 8, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thank you all so much for your input! The feather/leg coloring, large head spot, stance, etc. are all of the things that had be wondering. I'm just really hoping that at least one of the two is a female...although I don't know anything about the crossing between a Rhode Island Red and BR. [​IMG]

Should I be concerned if my BR is jumping on my Rhode Island Red? There is no pecking occurring, but the BR seems to be becoming very dominant. (Could any of this be indicative of a specific gender?)

Thanks again, guys!

7. bathomas

Dec 8, 2015
    Kentucky
    Will definitely post more photos in a couple of weeks! It really is a terrible waiting game!

Thank you. :)

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Being pushy isn't always a male trait, but it is mostly seen in little boys.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd give him a few more weeks but, he is trying hard to be a boy - or pretending he is one.[​IMG]

10. Madisan

Madisan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    I'm leaning towards cockerel because the feather pattering looks male. But post again in a couple weeks when it is more feathered out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by