4 week old barred rock roos with VERY swollen abdomens!!! PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsfilmman5, Jan 30, 2015.

1. mrsfilmman5

mrsfilmman5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    i have 2 barred rock roosters that have had VERY swollen abdomens for at least a week and 1/2! they are also double the size of my other 4 week old chicks AND their feathers are not coming in like the other chicks. i have never had a chick look like this. even my other birds that were roosters...is this a deadly thing? i have tried some of the "tips" i.e. scrambled egg, olive oil, warm belly soak. the strangest part is that they don't seem to be acting sick. they are pretty active (i do notice they sit more than the other chicks though)
    any tips would help!! i cant find any forum that answers ALL the questions...
    i will try and post pix of them asap!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm glad if they are acting okay. I hope they're eating. You can check by feeling their crop to see how much food they have in there.
    I think bigger chicks go thru a slower ugly stage.
    Check and make sure he is pooping and what it looks like.

1 person likes this.
  3. mrsfilmman5

mrsfilmman5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    here are some pix of my 4 week old roos. anyone out there able to tell me if this is normal? the first 2 pictures really show how extra large his abdomen is and how much larger than the other chicks that are the same age...AND how irregular the feather growth is... the last 2 pix is of another roo, that doesnt seem to be as swollen, maybe just still in the "ugly" stage

this first pic is of the 2 roos together, see the big swollen booty of the roo in the foreground (roo #1)

[​IMG]

this is roo #1 with a 4 week old RIR (swollen abdomen and extra large size)

[​IMG]

this is roo #2 with 4 week old RIR
    [​IMG]

this is roo #2 with swollen booty

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by