4 Week old BCM gender and a WTH happened Polish question.

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
So, first up, I have a couple 4 week old Black Copper Marans. I was hoping they were both girls a couple weeks ago when I got them because at 2 weeks old there was one chick in the batch who already had a big, bright red comb already. But, now that they're two weeks older I have a feeling that Popper may be a cockerel. His comb is getting bigger and redder and he has one wattle growing out that you can see in his close-up shot. Penny looks like she could still be a girl...can I still have hope for her? Anyone have any guesses?

And next, I also got four buff laced polish chicks the same day I got the Marans. Two of them are frizzles and for two weeks I have been calling this one Ginger, but I noticed this morning she is growing a comb and the others aren't. Not only is she growing a comb, but it looks to me like she is growing a buttercup type comb. Am I right? And why would a polish chicken be growing a buttercup comb? Also, I've noticed her legs are white, unlike the other two smooth polish and the other frizzle that have grayish legs. Any ideas what happened to Ginger (Jim)?

Cyan Night

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Popper looks like a cockerel and penny a pullet. As for your frizzle, I'm thinking boy based on the Mohawk crest, but with frizzles, that could always change

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
I'm thinking my other frizzle is a boy too because it is always picking fights. Sigh...I was really hoping one of the frizzles would be a pullet, especially this one since its coloring was lighter than the other chicks I got. Don't know where I read that the male BLP are darker than the female.

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Anyone have any idea about the funky comb on the polish frizzle?

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Maybe I should post on the polish thread. Just thought of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom