4 Week Old Birchen Marans Gender Issues!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickCrazed, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ChickCrazed

ChickCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Hi! This is my first time with chicks and of my three chicks, I have one that I am struggling with. They are 4 weeks old.

#1 looks to be a clear Roo, large funky comb and slow to feather. He is also slightly bigger than the other two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 I believe is female. Has the smallest comb and feathered out a bit faster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Has Gender identity issues. He/she feathered out slower, but doesn't seem to have a large comb. It is very slightly bigger than the suspected girl, but a lot smaller than the suspected roo. He/she is also smaller than the suspected roo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any pros that can help?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its too young to tell for sure, but #1 looks male, #2 may be female, and I'd lean towards female on #3.

3. ChickCrazed

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Thanks, that is what I am hoping (but I am new to the chick thing). I know a lot can change - but here is hoping!

4. ChickCrazed

Jan 14, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Just wanted to follow up! at 12 weeks it is official! Two pullets and one cockerel (whose weird comb resolved itself!). I wouldn't have called that one from as long as she took to feather and her slightly larger comb!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by