4-week-old birthday party/feeding frenzy (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Aug 8, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hi everybody! My girls turned 4 weeks old on Tuesday, and as some of you know, I gave them the boot about a week ago; kicked them out of the brooder (hurrah, I have a dining room table again!!), and let them just be chickens.

We celebrated with a plate full of tomatoes from the garden. Initially, they were horrified, a big black dish piled with bright red, and flapped and fussed. But as soon as one got brave enough to touch her beak to the snack, she grabbed a piece and ran off, with the other four in hot pursuit. Never mind that there were tons of it sitting there for the taking.

Here is a picture of them devouring their first summer tomatoes, and making a total mess of the joint.
    [​IMG]

In this picture you can see how green Sophia's legs are (creepy!)
    [​IMG]

And this is my silkie - I find it difficult to imagine that this 'ugly duckling' will someday be a swan. :eek:
    [​IMG]

That's the update for now. Thanks for checking them out!

Susan

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    What cuties!!! Try a banana treat too. Mine go crazy for a banana.

3. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Excellent idea! And with this heat, bananas are a good source of potassium.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Love the pics Susan. they are so cute. Mine about attacked me this evening for a bunch of cold grapes. I don't know which they prefer...grapes or watermelon! [​IMG]
    I did have to fence in my tomatoes from them!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine LOVE grapes. I dare not let them get a taste for tomatoes though... they free range and I sure don't want them eating my fruits!!! Last year they found the beans and they must still remember because they ate all the leaves that grew outside of the fenced area!

6. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    When I go into the Ameracauna coop with ANYTHING in my hands, it's like a mob scene. Whew! [​IMG]

Cute pics. [​IMG]

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I am so glad you posted your picture of your Deleware. We have a 3 1/2 week old one that looks just like yours.
    I was worried she was going to turn out nothing like the pictures I've seen!
    I also have a Barred Rock, a silver laced and a mystery chick they sent us. I am hoping it's not a roo but at almost 4 weeks, there is NO sign of a comb. The extra one looked a lot like the Silver Laced as a day old, just a tad darker and is still darker as they get the adult feathers.
    Any feedback? I'll try and get a photo later.

Thanks
    Steph

8. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    4 weeks is too early to think about a chicken's sex by it's comb size, I think. Extra ones are almost always roos, as they're cheapest. We couldn't tell our roos apart until about two, two and a half months.

9. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Uh - I don't know how to break it to you, but I think you got cheated. Those looks more like pigs to me! [​IMG]

10. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by