4 week old BLRW, tell me boys and girls.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Livinzoo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have 17 4 week old BLRW. 3 of them are single combs. Of those I think I have one Roo and 2 pullets. Here is a pic of all three.
    [​IMG]
    And a single of the one I believe to be a roo.
    [​IMG]
    And a single of one I think is a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    The rose combs are harder. There seems to be some definite roos and pullets and than some in betweens. Here is a pic with one of each
    [i[​IMG]
    This is the comb I think is a roo
    [​IMG]
    This is the comb I think shows a pullet
    [​IMG]
    But what is this one?
    [​IMG]

Do I just need to wait a bit longer?
    Thanks

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It's hard to tell. Your pics are very dark.

3. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    What are BLRW? Anyway they look rooish to me.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

BLRW= Blue LAced Red Wyandotte

I have found my BLRW to be difficult to tell. I've had them that kept me waiting for awhile before I could tell. One thing I have found besides the combs are their feather patterns. The girls have rounded lacing earlier and the boys have more streaky looking coloring. That probably doesn't make sense, but I don't know how to explain it!! Also the roos legs are usually longer and thicker.

I've got some more of Sue's eggs in the bator now. I hope to have a better hatch this time around. I want to get some of her line going to add to my others. All mine are rose comb...maybe I'll get a single comb out of this hatch.

5. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I do understand about the streaks on the Laced Wyandottes. My Gold Laced Wyandotte roo has more streaks than the Silver laced ladies do. But it was not hard to tell he was a rooster. He had his come at three and a half weeks. Very big a bright.
    He sill doesn't have a good tail yet though and he is 9 weeks old. Him and my EE roo both look a little lacking in that department. compared to the Leghorns and my Blue roo.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I could tell on some SLW way sooner than on the BLRWs. My BLRWs roos have been slow to get their nice looking tail feathers too. My oldest blue wyandotte roo doesn't have much for a tail either.....maybe it just takes them longer to get them.

7. Livinzoo

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Ok here are some better pics. These are the 3 single combs. The one I believe is a roo is in the center.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one I believe to be a pullet
    [​IMG]
    and a pic with both a roo and pullet, I think.
    [​IMG]

Now for the rose combs. Roo, I think. His comb looks really red inside. Actually none of the red showed up on any of them.
    [​IMG]
    The ones I'm not sure if they are pullets look alike outside. Here they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this what you mean by streaky?
    [​IMG]

8. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Has the one you think is a roo got long tail feathers? My GLW roo still doesn't have much of a tail yet. He has a heck of a comb and looks very roo like but little stub on the tail. He is 9 weeks old.
    How old are these chickens? I know my SLW girls were showing more pink than I thought for a while I was really wondering about them and they are still hens at 9 weeks. There is a big difference between them and his comb.

[​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a couple of back shots I took this morning. Hopefully the difference in the lacing on their backs shows up good enough.
    ROO
    [​IMG]

Pullets
    [​IMG]

10. Livinzoo

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    All 17 have the same length of tail at the moment so can't go by that. But the comb color and the streakiness suggest that I have 6-7 roos and 10-11 pullets [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by