1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week old Buff Orpingtons... gender guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheeshshe, Jul 15, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I originally thought from the beginning that one is a roo and one a pullet. one stands like almost vertical at times. the other stands more hen like. the hen like one started getting pink in the wattles before the roo looking one... but the roo one is feathering out more slowly.... here are some photos... whatcha think? too early to tell?

I only planned on keeping one, but the roo like one is so darn goofy looking and always looking at me with his goofy face I sort of secretly hope he's a she after all LOL!

oh and the roo looking one is a lot smaller than the hen looking one, they are the same age.

side by side... henish on left, rooish on right
    [​IMG]
    close up of hennish face
    [​IMG]
    goofy looking rooish one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and sometime he walks even MORE vertical than this!
    [​IMG]
    see how one is smaller?
    [​IMG]

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I am going to guess both pullets. I am new to BO's this year, but have noticed that there can be differences as they grow. Probably depends on their parents and the lines they come from. They start out the same size and then they each grow at their own rate; or so it seems thus far with the pullets I have. But I am sure others with more experience and knowledge will weigh in soon enough. [​IMG] Pretty chicks you have there!!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I vote for both pullets, too. No expert here, though.

At least you'll be able to tell them apart if they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I say pullets. At 4 weeks you should be seeing larger red combs and wattles if they were cockerels.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

6. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    None of them look like my buff orp roo when he was that age. I think their both girls too.

7. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    I am voting pullets. FWIW, I had 2 RIR pullets that stand up almost like runner ducks sometimes. Anyway, I've included a pic of my BO cockerel when he was 5 weeks (before we knew for sure that he was a he, as I PAID for HIM to be a he! lol)

[​IMG]

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They are both pullets. The one who stands more vertical is probably the one that is dominant over the other. [​IMG]

9. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    They both appear to be pullets to me right now [​IMG]

10. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    WOW! and this whole time I've been thinking he's a roo because of the stance! LOL! I don't want to get rid of him because this is seriously one really goofy chicken. he/she just always looks at us with the goofiest look and its a riot. he/she happens to be my 2 year olds fave and he lets her carry him around in any way she wants. a big big big baby. seriously I can't believe he/she puts up with her torture LOL! Pounceroo is her/his name [​IMG] Likes to pounce on "Yogurt" my 4y olds fave LOL!

Now if they really both are pullets how shall I house 6 chickens in my 4x4 coop........ AHH! (really I still think one of the big ones is a roo so that one will be gone and I'll have 5 to house....)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by