4 Week Old Chick breaks nail, bleeding.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantamoftheOpera, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Songster

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Hello,

My four week old EE just jumped out of the brooder while I was taking care of them on to the hard basement floor. I picked her up off the floor and noticed she was getting blood on my hands. The tip of the nail is hanging off and there is blood in the area. I tried to seperate her from the other five, but she was clearly uncomfortable being away from them. Is it safe to keep her in the brooder with the others? Also is there anything I can do to treat the injury?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I had a chick that had that happen. I cleaned it, and dipped it in cornstarch, which stopped the bleeding. them I just cleaned it and treated it with neosporin twice a day. I kept her separate from the others just for a day. Maybe you could put her in a small container in the brooder where she could see the others, but they could not get her?

3. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Songster

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Thanks for the reply. The bleeding stopped and she looks pretty content for now. The tip of the nail is still hanging, but it's attached pretty well from the looks of things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by