1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 week old chick falling over eyes closed. HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undergroundchickens, Oct 26, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black copper maran, 4.5 weeks old.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She was fine yesterday. Today I went in to change water and fill the feeder and found her laying funny on the ground. Others were walking on her. I picked her up and she opened her eyes. I figured she was sleeping and set her back down. She quickly fell onto her back rolling around trying to get up but couldn't. She just lays there with her eyes closed like she is sleeping. She shows no sign of respritory infection. Eyes are clear.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Woke up this way.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. none
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. eating medicated chick crumbles and plain water. has been allowed to forage outside, grass etc,
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. no poop yet
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing just found her.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. She is in our house in a big bin on fir wood chips.

Just found this chick on its side. Tried to sit her up and she falls over on her back. She just lays there with her eyes shut. What should I do?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Her eyes are clear just closed unless stimulated then she will open them for a minute. Beak is clean. No moisture so I can't believe it is a respiratory infection. Should I run and get antibiotics? She will drink when I dip her beak while holding her. I have given her some sugar water. Please someone tell me what to give her. Is there a good antibiotic to give that I can get from our local IFA?

Thanks for any help.

3. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Never mind. She went into a seizure and her tongue started poking out with hard breathing. We put her out of her misery. Now I guess I just hope my other 3 chicks don't get whatever was wrong with her or do I treat with antibiotics as a precaution?

4. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    aww i'm so sorry.

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry. Poor little girl. Are the rest of your chicks doing ok?

6. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, the others seem fine thanks.

My husband thinks that our daughter might have fed the chick a dead moth off the front porch. Problem is the front porch has residual poison to kill the spiders/bugs that try to come in in the fall. His thinking is the moth died due to the poison and then the chick that ate it died for the same reason. Luckily my chickens can't get to the front porch and as long as no one feeds the chickens the dead bugs they find there all should be fine.

It is crazy how attached I got to these chicks. I think I only had the two pullets out of my hatch and this was one of them. I keep second guessing myself wondering if she might have been able to recover if we had just watched and waited but she was suffering badly. I even lost sleep due to this. Guess I had better not get so attached to my birds. [​IMG]

Thanks for your sympathy/concern. I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by