4 week old chick got stepped on help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jkioneil, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    my little roo got stepped on 6/29! he is okay eating and drinking but now his chest is not right. it looks like his breastplate in the middle is sideways kinda. and his breast on one side sticks out and looks swollen. Is there anything i can do for him? can i wrap it or something i want im to be happy and he is an inside bird but he does not like to be held very much i think it hurts him. how can i ease his suffering

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    He'll either make it or he won't. Sometimes they just get a little stunned and sprained but bounce back. You'll have a better idea tomorrow. Sorry [​IMG]

3. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    oh no poor thing i hope he is ok

4. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    i feel sooo horrible for him. his little friend that same day was eaten and he was hiding inside on the stairs and when i came in from outside i could not see very well, my eyes were still adjusting, and i started to wall down the stairs and i stepped right on him and he rolled underneath my foot. we both startd screaming and as my eyes came ito focus i assumed i had killed him i thought at very least mangled and id have to kill him but no he seemed okay. i came back upstairs checked him out and he seemed okay. i was amazed and now he has this and i feel soo horrid. any advice would be great:hit [​IMG]

5. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    bumpin it back up hoping for help

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Are you sure that the lump you saw wasn't just a full crop?

I have seen many full crops off to the side.

I to have stepped on a chick, but not all my weight went down as i am use to having animals under foot so it is automatic that i pick my foot up if i feel something under it that is not normally there, well unless i got on my steel toed boots, then i can't feel anything [​IMG]

If the chick is acting ok and eating , he or she will be fine. [​IMG]

Sorry you lost one too. [​IMG]

7. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    im confused about when it got stepped on because you said 7/29 i think if you ment 6/29 it should be ok

8. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    oops sorry it is 6/29 but the buldge in his chest is big and he screeches when you touch his front

9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you take him to a vet? If he is screeching then it must hurt him. You are sure it isnt just a full crop? T

10. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:he is ot screaming aymore but for sure when it happened what is a full crop? maybe i should post a pic tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by